Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Fantasy picks for Bonhams Quail Lodge Sale

Tags

It's Monterey Car Week once again, and in anticipation of going for the first time in almost ten years, my son and I sat down to pick our top three cars being offered by Bonhams at their Quail Lodge sale. Not simply the most expensive or rare, but the cars we'd most like to have in our garage - cars we would use.

Once again we found ourselves with the problem of trimming our selections down - so here's our top 5. What are your picks?



Photo credit: Bonhams Auctions
The 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO Berlinetta (lot 3) no estimate given (that translates as "expensive" in auction speak). Well, call us star-struck but we're falling for the GTO - it's a 250 GTO after all!



Photo credit: Bonhams Auctions
The 1912 Speedwell Speed Car (lot 231) estimated at $550,000 to $750,000. We have a family friend who had a speedwell - they sound great - often called the poor man's Simplex. This car also has great ownership history.



Photo credit: Bonhams Auctions
The 1948 Talbot-Lago T26 Grand Sport Coupe (lot 242) estimated at $1.1 to $1.5 million. I might have overlooked this car if not for my son. On closer inspection it appears to be a fantastic car with great history - and I find this to be one of the best looking T26's that I can remember.


Photo credit: Bonhams Auctions
The 1908 Napier Type 23A Touring (lot 254) estimated at $1.1 to $1.4 million. Dad grew up knowing Rod Blood (the former owner of this car) and visited is barn full of cars regularly. Mr. Blood was a Packard collector and this was not a car he used often. Regardless, Napier's are exceptional cars and you rarely seem them here in the States.


Photo credit: Bonhams Auctions
The 1963 Shelby Cobra 289 (lot 260) estimated at $1.3 to $1.5 million. My son didn't think this car belonged on the list, but it's my blog so I overruled him. The 289 is the Cobra to have in my opinion and who wouldn't want to have a this car in their garage? I need to have a talk with that kid.








EmoticonEmoticon